At least one Australian Formula Ford Series Champion will be crowned at Sydney Motorsport Park this weekend, with the event marking the third and final round of the Formula Ford 1600 competition for vehicles powered by Ford Kent motors.
The Kent series is set for a blockbuster finish with just four points separating Tim Hamilton and Mitch Maddren at the top of the standings.
Maddren won the opening round at Winton after a remarkable recovery from a crash early in the weekend, and was in fine form in Round 2 at Queensland Raceway, winning the first two races. However, a DNF in the final due to mechanical problems cost him severely, and handed the championship ascendancy to Hamilton.
The outright (Duratec Class) title could be decided as well, with Max Vidau enjoying a healthy 52 point advantage over his nearest rival. If the 16-year-old South Australian can extend his lead to 62 points by the end of the weekend, he will wrap up the championship with a round to spare.
As well as Round 5 of the Australian Formula Ford Series and Round 3 of the Australian Formula Ford 1600 Series, this weekend’s race meeting also incorporates Round 5 of the NSW Formula Ford Championship. A massive field of 31 Formula Fords will participate in the weekend’s three races, equalling the largest field for the category this year.
Did You Know?
Sydney Motorsport Park (formerly Eastern Creek) has hosted 17 previous rounds of the Australian Formula Ford Championship, with 17 different round winners.
In 2005, the western Sydney circuit hosted two rounds of the series, just a few weeks apart.
So far in 2017, the Australian Formula Ford Series has had race winners from four different Australian states (Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia), as well as New Zealand.
Australian Formula Ford Series Round 5 - Entry List
5. Mygale Hamish Ribarits - Sonic Motor Racing Mygale
6. Paul Zsidy - Borland Racing Developments Spectrum
10. Zac Soutar - Team Soutar Mygale
11. James Burge - Listec Race Cars Listec
14. Lachlan Mineeff - Colin Hill Engineering Mygale
16. Cooper Murray - Mygale Australia Mygale
18. Lachlan Gibbons - Lachlan Gibbons Motorsport Mygale
21. Harri Jones - BF Racing Spectrum
29. Nathan Herne - BF Racing Mygale
31. Jayden Ojeda - Borland Racing Developments Spectrum
32. Courtney Prince - Sonic Motor Racing Mygale
35. Jake Donaldson - Jake Donaldson Racing Spectrum
44. Hunter McElrea - Sonic Motor Racing Mygale
55. Ben Horsten - Fastlane Stealth
57. Jackson Burton - Synergy Motorsport Spectrum
73. Cameron Shields - BF Racing Mygale
74. Max Vidau - Sonic Motor Racing Mygale
85. Ben Reichstein - Borland Racing Developments Spectrum
95. Adrian Lazzaro - Lazzaro Motorsport Spectrum
97. Liam McLellan - Borland Racing Developments Spectrum
3. Kane Coleman - Anglo Motorsport Spirit
4. Robert Rowe - 3 Amigos Mondiale
8. David Holland - Don Holland Racing Swift
9. Josh Jackson - JetCar Promos Spectrum
24. Dave Wood - Wood Racing Van Diemen
41. Keith Brennan - Anglo Motorsport Spirit
53. Mark Lowing - Listec Van Diemen
61. Alan Price - Listec Racing Listec
80. Jason Liddell - 3 Amigos Swift
87. Tim Hamilton - Spectrum
91. Josh Behn - Anglo Motorsport Mygale
92. Mitch Maddren - Autoware Van Diemen
Australian Formula Ford Series – Sydney Motorsport Park Round Winners
1993 – Steven Ellery
1995 – Jason Bright
1996 – Rich Fowler
1997 – Marcos Ambrose
1999 – Stuart McColl
2000 – Nick Agland
2001 – Will Power
2003 – Tony Pugliese
2004 – James Small
2005 (1) – David Sieders
2005 (2) – Shane Price
2007 – Ashley Walsh
2008 – Brad Lowe
2011 – Cameron Waters
2014 – Thomas Randle
2015 – Cameron Hill
2016 – Will Brown